On today's show:
DIY Winter Home Maintenance Checklist by DAP
Make sure your home is ready to stand the test of (winter) time with a bit of preventative maintenance – here’s a checklist of five simple preventative projects you can complete before the winter weather really sets in:
1. Stop cold air from getting in – Small cracks and gaps between window frames and doors allow water, insects and cold air to creep inside. Lock in the warmth and increase energy efficiency with simple DIY fixes:
2. Protect your pipes – Pipes can burst and cost a fortune to replace. Find the pipes in the home that pass through unheated areas, like crawlspaces, and insulate them with foam rubber sleeves or fiberglass insulations. In extreme cases, put heating tape on first to ensure that the pipe does not freeze. Also, locate your home’s water shut-off valve so you can shut off the water quickly if a pipe does burst.
4. Defend against pests – Avoid issues with mice and other pests trying to stay warm this season by sealing up gaps and cracks inside your garage, attic and basement, under sinks or around pipe/electrical penetration using DAP® Mouse Shield. Specially treated to block mice, birds, bats and tree squirrels, as well as ants, roaches, spiders and bees, the foam also works to seal and insulate to help save on energy costs.
5. Clean your furnace filter – Dirty filters mean your furnace has to work harder. Regularly changing the filters in your central air and heating system can significantly improve its efficiency and longevity, while easing the pressure on your wallet. In most homes, filters should be changed monthly in the heating season. You should also have your furnace serviced periodically to make sure it is working properly.
5. Check smoke and carbon monoxide detectors – With the cold comes heavier heater use, and unfortunately, a spike in carbon monoxide poisoning incidents. Protect your home and family by making sure your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are working by using the test button on each device, and be sure to change the batteries as needed.