Recently we had the opportunity to give a gift to a friend leaving the USA for a year to live as a missionary in Nicaragua. We wanted it to be something she could use right away & wouldn’t have to store. A trip to Whole Foods provided everything we needed. We found a variety of useful items & healthy snacks she could use on the plane & once she landed. Next was finding the right gift bag that was useful even after the contents were gone. We decided to transform a t-shirt that was meaningful to her & make it into a bag.
There are lots of t-shirt bag tutorials out there; most are no-sew which we think are a lot more trouble & time consuming than sewing. In our version the bottom is sewn on a machine & given a little more shape with a bit of tailoring.
1. Lay the t-shirt on the cutting mat with the bottom edges lined up on one of the horizontal lines
2. Use the ruler & rotary cutter to cut off one inch from the bottom, discard this piece
3. Cut off another one inch, save for later use
4. Smooth out the sleeve & cut them off, discard
5. Fold the t-shirt in half with seam even. Sketch a cutting line from about one inch or so from the neck binding to about four inches from the center of the neck binding, cut & discard piece
6. Turn t-shirt inside out. Lay t-shirt flat with bottom edges even, pin or clip edges, stitch a 5/8” seam
7. Press the side seams to form a crease
8. To form the boxed bottom, line up the stitched seam with the side seam crease & flatten so that you have formed a triangle, press & pin
9. Use the ruler to draw a four inch stitching line across the triangle, stitch on this line, Repeat with the other side
10. Turn the bag right side out, use the one inch piece to tie across the “shoulders” as a decorative accent
PS: Lindsay loved the goodies & the bag. You can follow her Nicaragua adventure here.
Steph & Vicki
Welcome to Mother Daughter Projects!
We're homeowners sharing our DIY adventures as we learn to maintain, improve, decorate, and
use tech in our homes.
Share your projects with us here: #trylearnshare