text by Vicki Sign up to get Mother Daughter Projects updates in your email!
The arms and foot rest were disassembled from the chair and everything was cleaned well with Krud Kutter.
Tip: when removing hardware, place the items in a plastic container or bag so that you don’t lose anything.
Two of the hinges and box handles were also cleaned with Krud Kutter in preparation for painting. The screw holes were filled with Dap Plastic Wood, and sanded once dried. The base was painted with the Chalked spray paint, finished with the Chalked Ultra Matte, and then sanded to distress.
The hinges and box handles were primed then painted with the Metallic Spray Paint.
Tip: we used our battery operated fan helped blow away fumes and speed up drying time.
After attaching the hinges to the box, the screws were touched up with the metallic spray paint. To do this, I sprayed the paint into a cup so that it puddled and then used a small paint brush to touch up.
One of the wine boxes was disassembled so that the bottom could be used as a top for the box. The box and lid were sanded in preparation for painting. Both were primed with the 2X primer.
The back side of the lid was painted with chalkboard paint and the top was painted with the Chalked Ultra Matte Paint in Aged Gray and distressed with Varathane Stain in Bearsmoke.
Tip: season chalkboard paint by rubbing chalk all over the surface and then wiping away. You are now ready to write on it.
The metal embellishment was attached with JB Weld. Handles were attached to the center front and each side with screws.
The wood slats were cleaned with Krud Kutter and one side was sanded to the bare wood. The slats were cut to size, primed, then painted with the Chalked Ultra Matte Paint in Linen White. The slats were attached with Dap RapidFuse and clamped into place and allowed to dry. The slats were sanded to distress.
Coat hooks were attached to the front top of the stand. Velcro is attached to the top of the stand and the bottom of the box to keep it in place when in use. A hole was drilled into the bottom to feed the charging cable through.
Some things we learned:
Please note: We are not sponsored by Rust-Oleum. We were given some of the Rust-Oleum products to try out. All thoughts and options are our own and based on our experience.
FYI: We are not professionals, and we don’t claim to be. This is what we found worked for our project. Yours may need a little different approach. Safety first!
FYI: Affiliate links are being used on this page. Purchasing via these links help support MDP!
Steph & Vicki
Welcome to Mother Daughter Projects!
We're homeowners sharing our DIY adventures as we learn to maintain, improve, decorate, and
use tech in our homes.
Share your projects with us here: #trylearnshare