text by Steph Sign up to get Mother Daughter Projects updates in your email!
When I moved into my house, I had the good fortune of having a working, natural gas powered fireplace. It's pretty amazing to just flip a switch and have a fire! I love the look and turn it on often (it does offer some heat but not too much- which is ok since we're in FL).
Before using it, I had it inspected by a natural gas specialist. While in my home, he lit the pilot light. He said all was good- I just have to use it to keep it in working order. One thing I started to notice was the bottom grate only lit up halfway and there was something that looked like dryer lint (or something you would find in a litter box) in the fire box area.
I did some research and found this material is called glowing embers. Glowing embers are a mixture of vermiculite and rock wool. It's used in LP and natural gas log fireplaces to restore newness and realism.
If you have a gas powered, vented fireplace, you might want to look into this product! It's not nessary to the working of the fireplace, but it sure adds a neat look.
FYI: We are not professionals, and we don’t claim to be. This is what we found worked for our project. Yours may need a little different approach. Safety first!
FYI: Affiliate links are being used on this page. Purchasing via these links help support MDP!
12/13/2017 10:50:50 pm
You mentioned a way to light the fire in a fireplace but I can find anything HELP
12/14/2017 10:58:01 am
Hi Adan, are you referring to the end of the video where I turn on the fire without flipping the switch? We were using a device called switchmate which you can learn about here: https://youtu.be/IU6JvIqRrDA
Leave a Reply.
Mother Daughter Projects